Marlin Safty 32-40 What do I have?

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

rwilcox51661

Marlin Safty 32-40 What do I have?

Post by rwilcox51661 »

My Dads Gun is a Marlin safty, in 32-40. It has Patented.Oct.11.1887.April 2.1889.August 1.1893 on the barrel. It also has an octogon barrel, with marble's Gladstone Mich USA on the back site. Behind the hammer is a pop up peep site. Can anyone tell me about this gun? Year made..ect.

Re: Marlin Safty 32-40 What do I have?

Post by Guest »

rwilcox51661 wrote:My Dads Gun is a Marlin safty, in 32-40. It has Patented.Oct.11.1887.April 2.1889.August 1.1893 on the barrel. It also has an octogon barrel, with marble's Gladstone Mich USA on the back site. Behind the hammer is a pop up peep site. Can anyone tell me about this gun? Year made..ect.
You can reach me at rwilcox51661@msn.com Thanks :D
SteveW
Distinguished Expert

Post by SteveW »

If you remove the sight on the tang, the model # will be revealed. The serial number should be on the bottom of the frame just ahead of the lever. Post the number & if it's low enough, one of us can get you close to when it was made. SW
rwilcox51661

marlin safty 32-40 serial number

Post by rwilcox51661 »

I'm sorry I forgot to add the serial #. It is 112724. I removed the site and found the model to be 1893. Thank you very much.

Rob
rwilcox51661@msn.com
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Rwilcox51661;

Marlins with serial numbers in the range given were generally shipped from the factory in New Haven, Ct. in 1894.
I hope this helps.

Post by Guest »

I have a question- What is the tang? where do I find it? and how do I remove the sight?
SteveW
Distinguished Expert

valid question?

Post by SteveW »

The tang is the strip of steel that extends from the hammer rearward into the stock. On the bottom, it goes from about the trigger into the stock. To remove a tang sight, turn the screws in a counter-clockwise direction and lift from the holes when sufficiently loose. Re-assemble in reverse order. SW
Sure-Shot
Distinguished Expert

Post by Sure-Shot »

By patent dates and caliber, should be a model 1893. I have one in this caliber and it is a very good, deer, black bear, elk rifle. Mine is one of the most accurate rifles I have. It came with a 26" Octagon barrel, you measure the barrel down the bore to the bolt face with the lever closed, I use a dowel and mark it with a pencil and measure it when I pull it out, you can do it with a magic marker and a cleaning rod. Marlin did their barrels in even inches with the exception of a very few short rifles at 15". You have to check the barrel to make sure it doesn't say "For Black Powder Only" if you want to reload with modern components. If it says "Special Smokeless Steel" which it probably does then it is ok to load modern ammo in it. I suspect you will find this a very good rifle for hunting or target practice.
GBOT, GBUSA