Gunshow "bargain"..sort of

Anything to do with Rimfire guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Ultona
Marksman

Gunshow "bargain"..sort of

Post by Ultona »

Went to a gunshow Saturday and for once found a nice old Marlin! Actually, it was that 92 .32 caliber with a Lyman tang sight I mentioned in my last post. It had about 97% bright blue and a minty bore, but when I got home I found out why it stayed so nice! It didn't work! Found out the cartridge cut off was left oversize from the factory, so shells only fed out of the mag tube about 50% of the time. Also found out the mag tube retaining screw had a little too much material on the head so it dragged on the inside of the outer tube when you pulled it up for loading. Extractor was way too heavy, was cutting a little groove in the case rims. Ejector was excessively heavy too. Mag tenion was loose, as was the front sight blade. Dirty as heck as usual too. None of this was major and I fixed it Saturday night so I could shoot it Sunday, but wasn't the first time I bought a gun at a gunshow with some hidden problems. I was still happy and don't blame the seller, heck he didn't even know what caliber it was (tried to offer me some 32 S&W shells to go with it). I bet I am not the only guy here that has bought himself some work he didn't expect at a gunshow :wink:
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Sounds like a gun that was built late Friday! Guess even back then a worker might have an off day! :D
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!