whiffelball
Beginner

Grandpa's Rifle

Post by whiffelball »

I have a Marlin pump action 22 with the following markings:

"cal 22 S,L,LR"
"Pat 3/24/1908"
"Marlin 1778"

what is this thing? It looks really skinny compared to today's rifles.
Proudly own: 983 22mag, 981 22LR, Glenfiled Mod 15, 917 Mach 2, 70 HC, Model 60, Golden 39-A, and a couple others.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Wiffelball;

The only Marlin .22 caliber pump action rifle that I can find that shows the single patent date you listed is the Model 47. It should be marked either Marlin No. 47 or Mod. 47 on the upper tang, behind the hammer.
Does your rifle have "tiger stripped" case-colored receiver? If it does, then it is indeed a Model 47. The wood should be checkered in a diamond shape on the wrist and forearm.
The Model 47 was made from1930 to 1931 and was one of the "stock option" guns. If someone purchased 4 shares of perferred stock at $25.00 per share (total $100.00) then they were given the choice of one free firearm.
I hope this helps.
oldwolf
Beginner

Post by oldwolf »

Boy, I'd love to see the gun manufacturers offer the "stock option" these days!
Regards,
OldWolf
dachtera
Beginner

Value of this rifle

Post by dachtera »

Hello! My father has one of these rifles as well, presumably his fathers, or grandfathers. I find very little information online about this gun. Does anyone know a value of this? My fathers is in very good condition. It has not been shot in a few years, but last time I used it, it fired true with no jamming!

Any help would be very much appreciate.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Dachtera;

Value of antique fireams is dictated by the amount and condition of the remaining original factory finish on the wood and metal. Without knowing these condtions, no one here is willing to give an estimation of value as condition can vary so much for a gun of this era. Values are best given when a "hands on" examination can be given.
When shooting your rifle, you might not want to use modern high speed ammunition. You safe bet is to use standard velocity or target ammunition in it so as not to damage the breech bolt. This gun was made at a time when transitions were made and your gun may or may not be able to handle the high speed ammunition without damage to the breech bolt. If it is not made for high speed ammunition, the breech bolt can crack at the locking point. Replacements are hard to find!
I hope this helps.
dachtera
Beginner

Model 47

Post by dachtera »

gunrunner - Thanks for the info. I plan to snap some pictures of it soon when I see my father next and will pay attention to the detail you mentioned.

From what I recall, we have never shot high-speed ammunition, just standard load Federal .22 rounds.

Thanks, - Tim