Brophy's book

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

MikeJordan
Beginner

Brophy's book

Post by MikeJordan »

completely off topic maybe but I ordered the Marlin firearms book by William Brophy. said it was used but in excellent condition. it looks like it's never been opened but the pictures seem dark, and sometimes fuzzy kind of like they were done on a scanner. Also, I cannot find these in-depth production tables I see posted on this site. Did I get some kind of ripped off copy or are they all like that?
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Re: Brophy's book

Post by marlinman93 »

I have two copies and neither have fuzzy pictures. One is a first edition special run signed by Bill that I bought. The other I bought like new, but used to be my working copy. It's pretty tattered now from decades of reference work. Neither are different quality pictures.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
No1_49er
Beginner

Re: Brophy's book

Post by No1_49er »

Unless you've handled a known good version, it would be hard to say yes or no as to whether you've been ripped off.
What I can say about my copy is that it has clear images and is printed on high quality paper that has a very smooth surface texture (almost like photo paper)
The paper quality may have a bearing on the weight of the tome - mine weighs 4lb 14.4oz (= 2,222 gram). Weigh yours and compare.