marlin 1889

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

wally vernon
Beginner

marlin 1889

Post by wally vernon »

I just purchased a pretty well used 1889. It is in 38-40 and although pretty rough, the price was right. I am considering putting new wood on it and have found some through Precision gun works. My question is this: how do I remove the magazine tube? The little dove tail on the end is throwing me off. Do I have to drive that out? I have removed the screw on the end (that secures the cap)and that didnt seem to loosen anything up. I will admit everything is probably rusted together. I am familiar with taking down a Winchester lever like a 92 or a 94, but this seems to be a little different. Any help will be appreciated!
SteveW
Distinguished Expert

Post by SteveW »

You're on the right track. I just pulled the mag tube from my 'beater' 1889 so I could give you accurate information. I'm assuming you have removed the fore end cap & screws. Remove the screw that holds the front of the magazine to the front dovetail and the mag should lift right off. Mine hasn't been shot or outdoors for quite a while & I still had to tap it gently to lift it from the dovetail. Gentle prying with a metal object that won't scratch or mar the metal might be necessary, too. Gently is the key word here. A little penetrating oil wouldn't hurt, either. Once you get the front loose, the tube will separate easily from the receiver and it can be pulled forward from the receiver.

If it does not want to move easily, apply penetrating oil & after it has set for a few hours, try rotating it from side to side to loosen it that it can be pulled from the frame. SW
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Wally;

The object on the end is a stud that the magazine tube plug fits down into. With the screw our of the plug, you will be able to move forward with the next step. You have to remove the forearm cap screws, then slide the forearm cap forward a little to clear the cap retainer. After that, you can slide the tube/tube plug along with the forearm and cap downward off of the stud. It will NOT move sideways. Clear as mud, right? I hope this helps.
wally vernon
Beginner

Post by wally vernon »

thanks a lot, I will try it tomorrow.