nother 94 ??

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

senior

nother 94 ??

Post by senior »

I have a 94 Short Rifle with a 20" Hex barrel in 25-20 as described on pg 49 in the Marlin book. It's in mint shape, Barrel says Marlin Fire Arms Co. last pat date is 1893. Tang says "Marlin Model 94" serial # on the front bottom receiver is 104xx.
Any info as to age & to rareity would be appreciated, I've never seen another original 20" hex rifle in Marlin before it must be a rare occurance?

P.S. Just stumble on this forum :)
Keep up the good work, I shall return :)
Parley Baer
Distinguished Expert

Post by Parley Baer »

I'm curious as to the serial number 104XX would indicate 5 numbers to the serial number. Is this correct? Is there a bullseye in the bottom of the stock? Is there a star* stamped by the Model 94 stamp on the upper tang?

I have number 10411 in my records and it is in caliber 25-20M with a 20" octagon barrel 2/3 magazine and a star* stamped by the Model 94 stamp. Is this your rifle. If not can you email me your full serial number for my records. Thanks, Parley
It's a chancey job and it makes a man watchfull....and a little lonely.
senior

Post by senior »

Hi Parley, I believe you are the guy that supplied me with what info I do have ( Thanks ) a year or two ago on another forum?
Tang marked Marlin
Model 94 * star is 3/4" behind

No bullseye on butt stock
Parley Baer
Distinguished Expert

Post by Parley Baer »

Howdy

All I can say is that your rifle was made sometime between 1922 and 1935 and most likely from left over parts from the pre WW1 production. However Marlin did make rifles with 20 inch barrels in that 1922 to 1935 time period. We know that Marlin made the pre WW1 rifle version with a 20 inch barrel. I have never seen one.

I would put them on the scarce side. I have 5 recorded and yours is the only one I know for sure is octagon with the rest being round. During this time period Marlin made a good size run of Model 93's all with 20 inch barrels including the carbines of course. They all save one with a 30" barrel have an "A" prefix to the serial number. The highest recorded number I have is A3059. Parley
It's a chancey job and it makes a man watchfull....and a little lonely.
senior

94 Marlin

Post by senior »

Hi Don; I would be very happy to answer any ??s you may have about this rifle :) I purchased this rifle from a very old gent ( 85 years old ) whos family has been in the area since :?: He's a very nice geezer who has a small collection of minty small bores from his father eg. Win 64 in 25-35, M-53 in 25wcf & 218, stuff like that :shock: Anyway he told me it was purchased new by his father but had no idea the date or where :roll: I do have a dig camera & can try to take pics but I'm not a photographer :( I have collected & traded Wins & Savs for years :) so can with some :roll: confidence say I'm sure it's in an original state.