Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Montana
Beginner

Marlin 90

Post by Montana »

Hi fellas.

Hope all is well.

I've picked up a couple more Marlin shotties since we last "chatted."

The first is a 12ga hammer pump made by National Fire Arms Co. It has a straight stock, 30" barrel, and full choke. Not sure what model it is. Seems like it should break down but I can't get the slide to release "out."

The second is a Model 90 in 12ga. It has a serial number of 813, double triggers, 26" barrels, and no "ribs." Did Marlin ever do fancy factory engraving on stock and forearm? Or did someone just feel creative?

I took some pictures to send you and am not sure how to attach them in this format. Tell me how (where) to send them and I will. A personal email address would work. I know how attach using standard email.

Thanks for any input, Andy.
Don Anderson
Distinguished Expert

Model 90

Post by Don Anderson »

Montana:

What to you mean by "fancy engraving" on the wood? Is it a deluxe checkering or is there some type of carving? Is there any engraving on the receiver?

Don
Montana
Beginner

Post by Montana »

Hi Don.

The grip areas of the stock and forearm have a "vine-like" engraving. There is no engraving on the metal. I have pics but I've never posted them to a web address. Any ideas?

Thanks, Andy.
Don Anderson
Distinguished Expert

Model 90

Post by Don Anderson »

Hi Andy:

The type of carving that appears on the grip area of the buttstock on your Model 90 was not done by Marlin, but rather by some aftermarket individual. No matter how good it looks, it's unfortunate that it detracts from the collector value of the gun. However, don't let that bother you. Enjoy the shotgun for what it is, a very nice old Marlin that is a lot of fun to hunt with.

Don
Montana
Beginner

Post by Montana »

Hi Don.

Thanks for the reply.
It is unfortunate that it detracts from collector value.
I will enjoy it never-the-less.

Thanks again for the help you and the other Marlin afficianados provide.
It's truly appreciated.
Andy.
bobster
Beginner

Post by bobster »

Montana, I'm curious to hear if you ever found a way to post your picts of your model 90. I'd like to see if its similar to mine.

I've got a model 90 that has a dog engraved on the action and a pattern on both stocks that resembles fish scales. I dont really care too much about the collectibilty I just enjoy shooting it.

I've also had trouble getting any info on my serial number, #11630. If youve come accross a good resource I'd appreciate any help I can get.

Thanks
Punklp
Beginner

Marlin 90

Post by Punklp »

Very, Very early guns before the war sometimes have ducks etc. on the side of the action but only the realy early guns.