Matching serial numbers on stock vs. receiver?

Anything Shot Gun related

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Marlinman
Beginner

Re: Matching serial numbers on stock vs. receiver?

Post by Marlinman »

Regnier,

On your shotguns, you only collect the ones with original stocks/butt plates, right? If a recoil pad has been put on you avoid those, correct?

Just curious.

Mark
Marlin Model 1881 through Model '97 Collector
Marlinman
Beginner

Post by Marlinman »

Also, if you know of any good C grade shotguns (ones you already have in your *beep*), let me know, k?

Thanks.

Mark
Marlin Model 1881 through Model '97 Collector
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Mark;

There are enough good shotguns out there so as not to have to buy stocks that have been changed for a different pad. But, be aware that Marlin did offer pads from the factory. You do not see them often, but they are out there. The most common pad from the factory was the Silver's pad. You can see some in the shotgun section of the Brophy book (page 381 shows one on the D grade Model 28 Trap gun)
Sometimes, you might find a great gun with a pad, and it might be a great deal, I would not let that stop me from buying it as there are reproduction Silver's pads available and would look okay, usually on the higher grades. Since there are no records, no one would be able to say one way or the other if it is original or not.
Other than a repaired butt plate or two, my guns have original stocks and hard rubber butt plates.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.