Ballard #2 .32ong

Ballards

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

daville
Pro-Marksman

Ballard #2 .32ong

Post by daville »

Looking for information on a new purchase. #2 Marlin Ballard in .32 long with a gallery peep sight. It has a three line description, the top line is heavily struck or rolled J.M. Marlin New Haven Conn. USA The second line is faint, Patent date February 9, 1875. The third line is Ballard's Patent Nov.5, 186 . serial # is 149xx . The forearm does not have the inlet. The barrel is octagon and 26 inches long. My references claim these were offered in 28 inch. If it was cut off it was correctly done years ago. Any information is appreciated.
Questions and answers only lead to more questions, my head hurts!
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Re: Ballard #2 .32ong

Post by marlinman93 »

How are you measuring the barrel? If you measured it from the receiver to the muzzle, then you measured wrong. Need to measure from the rear of the receiver to the muzzle. The #2 was std. with a 28" barrel, but almost any length could be special ordered, so your gun may be a 26" barrel, if it measures that way from the total length.
The JM Marlin roll stamp on the receiver means your gun will fall into the pre 1881 era Ballard. Can't really tell you when it was made, except to say it's probably late 1870's. It should also have the reversible firing pin indicated by the rear of the firing pin being rectangle. The retaining screw can be removed, and the pin pulled out, and flipped upside down to reverse it from RF to CF cartridges.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
daville
Pro-Marksman

Post by daville »

Thanks. It is 26 total. Shoots about 1 1/2 at 100yds. Not bad for a 120 year old
Questions and answers only lead to more questions, my head hurts!
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

I don't have any #2's with barrels under 28". About half of mine are 28", and the other half are 30". But I'm sure they must have made some.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!