Marlin lever action

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Hart a go
Beginner

Marlin lever action

Post by Hart a go »

Am looking for value ona old gun I found in a building I tore down it is a marlin 1893 pat’d oct 11 1887 apr 2 1889 aug 1 1889 special smokies steel serial # 166111 anything will help
Brent
Sharpshooter

Re: Marlin lever action

Post by Brent »

Could be thousands, could be nothing, depends on condition and details.
shootrj2003
Marksman

Post by shootrj2003 »

Well,first off how is the condition basically is the steel rusty or is the finish still good,is the wood nicely finished still ?how it was put away makes a difference,,if it was cleaned oiled and waxed and stored in a dry area or just stuck in a garage or hung on a nail in a damp cellar, that makes a difference in how being abandoned takes a toll,Condition to collectors is subjective and depends on who looks at it,but to a regular guy,rusty or not?scratched furniture( wood parts)or a finish that wood look good on a table? Oh yeah, nice find congratulations! Do you hunt and shoot and own other guns?I am not" fishing" to acquire it just curious to know if you appreciate the luck of finding a gun and one like that,I have worked on a few old barns and houses and looked but never found one yet,I just love old things found undisturbed,and their stories .i bought my 1893 up in Maine and wish I knew its story.
Last edited by shootrj2003 on Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
being of a mind that an armed populace is a free populace.... i'm armed!
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

We need really good pictures to even make a guess!
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
CarolinaPirate
Beginner

Post by CarolinaPirate »

I am working on a 1973 Marlin 336-C in 30-30 wih a 20 inch barrel. The gun is at least 90% but the bolt is either jammed or broken. I need info on the correct way to take it down considering the bolt is damaged and where can I find a new bolt? I am not familiar with wheen Marlin/Remington may have changed model design and thus whether or not the bolt from model 336's in later years would also work? This is an estate and I suspect the gun was never used after it came to the current owner in the mid 1970's.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

CarolinaPirate;

You should remove the lever screw and then pull the lever out. This should allow you to remove the breech bolt without any more disassembly.
If that does not work, then remove the butt stock, remove the main spring and then the hammer screw to remove the hammer. Then remove the screw on the lower, left side of the receiver and then the screw at the front of the lower tang. This will allow you to remove the entire lower section. You may need to remove the lifter screw and remover the lifter so as to get inside the receiver. From there, you should be able to resolve your problem.
To find a new breech bolt if needed, watch eBay and some other gun related auction sites like Gun Broker.
Good luck.........
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
CarolinaPirate
Beginner

Post by CarolinaPirate »

Thanks for your quick reply, I should be able to at least closely inspect the bolt to see what the issue is. Have you heard of "bolt issues" with this model in the past? I have 3 Marlins but have never had to replace a part. First time for everything.