336 in 356 Winchester

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

44stainless
Beginner

336 in 356 Winchester

Post by 44stainless »

Just bought a NIB one sitting in a closet. Have ammo, dies and cases on the way. Anything I should be aware of ?

Thanks. :?:
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: 336 in 356 Winchester

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

44Stainless;

The Marlin Model 336ER was made only 3 years, from 1983 to 1986. Only 2,441 of them were manufactured during the production run. If this 336ER is still new in the box and unfired, it might be worth more as a collectors item if it remains unfired since it is a very scarce, modern production gun. But, if it has been fired, then go ahead and shoot it as that was what it was made for.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
44stainless
Beginner

Post by 44stainless »

IMO, no modern Marlin is a "collectors" item. It has been shot 3 times and I'm sticking a 2.5-8x36 Leupold on it and using it. Should fit right in my saddle scabbard on my 16 hands 1/4 horse and ride in God's country. (NW WY)
https://imgur.com/gw8Yl3U
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

44Stainless;

There are a lot of collectors of "modern" Marlins that will disagree with you. Many of the limited production guns have gained collector interest and are being collected.
Not everyone has the income to collect the antique Marlins that cost considerably more than the newer, modern, limited production guns. These collectors want to collect something within their ability and income levels and these type of guns fill the bill for them.
I know a number of them, and I accept their interests in these type of weapons and try to help them whenever possible.

44stainless
Beginner

Post by 44stainless »

Okay, as long as they realize, insofar as appreciation goes, they would do a lot better with Amazon stock.

Guns that are not shot are like cars that are not driven.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

44Stainless;

True, Amazon stock will most likely grow in value more and quicker, but what is the fun in "collecting" Amazon stock?

marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

I recall similar statements from people when I was collecting 1893 Marlins, and buying them around $300-$400. Lot of folks telling me I'd be lucky if they doubled in value in my lifetime. When I sold my collection I realized anywhere from 6-10 times what I paid for each gun.
If we had a time machine, or crystal ball, I'd much rather have invested more into guns than I did in the stock market. But my wife didn't think money into guns was well invested, so most went into stocks that didn't do nearly as well.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
44stainless
Beginner

Post by 44stainless »

Comparing a high condition 1893 to a modern 336 is akin to comparing a high condition 1873 to a post 64 pot metal 94'

As for stocks, I bought a ton of Apple, Microsoft, Alphabet and Amazon at 20% of what they are now. There is not a gun alive that has seen the gain I have seen over the past 15 years.

I put a ANIB Leupold VXIII 2.5-8x36 and plan to shoot the heck out of it. I'll never lose a dime on it.