336 RC

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

gunpowder$
Beginner

336 RC

Post by gunpowder$ »

I am new to this forum and have a question. I just acquired a Marlin lever action in 30-30. It has a straight stock(no pistol grip), ring on the left side of the receiver and is stamped 336 RC. What do I have and how would I find out when it was manufactured ?
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: 336 RC

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Gunpowder$;

A Marlin Model 336 with a 20 inch barrel and straight grip stock is the 336 Texan. The brass saddle ring was added in 1965. After 1984, the model designation was changed to 336TS for the addition of the cross bolt safety. So, your gun was made sometime between those two dates.
The serial number will tell you what year it was made. In the "GENERAL GUN QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS" section, the third post relates to the age a Marlin firearm. You can scroll down through that post to find your serial number letter prefix, or the first two digits of the serial number that designates the year of manufacture.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
gunpowder$
Beginner

Post by gunpowder$ »

Thanks for the info. It was made in 1968. The history of this gun was it was used in a murder S.C. My friend got it from a guy who somehow purchased it from the courts after the trial was over. He (me friend) sold it to me. It is in really good shape and I plan on hunting with it this year. I killed my first deer with a 336 when I was 24yr old and that was 45 yrs ago. Do you know if the Texan was offered in 35 Rem ?
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Gunpowder$;

The 336 Texan started production in 1954 and the .35 Remington was available at that time. The .35 Remington cartridge was discontinued in 1965.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.