Small frame 1881

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

375Wheelen
Beginner

Small frame 1881

Post by 375Wheelen »

Is there anyone on this site that can share any information with me regarding a small frame 1881 serial number 13686. I bought the rifle without a barrel/magazine but otherwise complete. I would like to know if there is any information regarding what caliber the rifle was originally manufactured in and barrel length. Thanks. I would post pictures but I have already sent the receiver to John Taylor to inspect the threads.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Small frame 1881

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

375Wheelen;

Serial number 13686 is a small frame Model 1881 that was shipped with a 28 inch octagon barrel in .38-55 caliber.
It was shipped in mid to late 1886. No other information is listed for that number.
The Badger Barrel Company can make a proper tulip shaped barrel for the Model 1881. It is the roll die that marks the barrel where the problem will be.
Good luck.......
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
375Wheelen
Beginner

Re: Small frame 1881

Post by 375Wheelen »

Thank you so very much. I have owned this "half 1881" for a very long time. Time to restore!
Apparently not with a Badger Barrel though. Apparently "according to the internet" that company is no longer in business. Think I'll try Green Mountain.