336A 32 Special

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

PTCSmith
Beginner

336A 32 Special

Post by PTCSmith »

Hello to all. I am a new member and a gunsmith in South Carolina. A customer brought in a Marlin 336A in 32 Special today. By the serial number ("K" prefix), I think it is a 1953 gun. The customer had bought a replacement buttplate which he wants me to grind to fit the rifle. Therein lies the question: Did this gun come originally with a white line spacer under the buttplate? I'll try to post a photo below. There is a white line spacer on it now which is quite a bit undersized for the stock (probably a 32nd of an inch all around). If I grind the plate to fit the spacer, the whole works will be undersized like the spacer. If I make the plate fit the stock, the spacer will look goofy. Any advice greatfully appreciated. The guy wants to sell the gun, so I don't want to do anything to further devalue it.

PTCSmith

PTCSmith
Beginner

Re: 336A 32 Special

Post by PTCSmith »

Well, I think I am answering my own question. There are a couple of 336A rifles on Gunbroker right now, and neither has the white line spacer. I think the one on this gun is an add-on, and I think I will throw it away and fit the buttplate without it.

PTCSmith
Road King
Expert

Post by Road King »

Hi Rick, I don't usually disagree with you as you are the expert. I have a model 336 in .32 spl with a K prefix and it has the white spacer and is slightly under sized. I know this is original to this gun as my Father bought it in 1953
I will post a picture later this evening.
Road King
" More guns then I need, but not as many as I want."
Road King
Expert

Post by Road King »

Here are photos of the butt plate.

Road King
" More guns then I need, but not as many as I want."
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

PTCSmith;

It is common to see the white spacer smaller than the butt plate. For some reason, the white plastic Marlin used had a tendency to shrink after a while, and like you, many think it does not look good that the spacer is smaller than the butt plate, and so it was removed. Some make new white spacers the correct size to keep the gun looking original, which is what I would try to do.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
tomcos
Beginner

Post by tomcos »

Greetings....I stumbled across this website while researching my late uncle's 336A in 32 Special. Yes, it has a slightly recessed white spacer. It has not been drilled/tapped and has open sights (no peep). It has the "J" prefix serial number. It has not been modified in any way. I still have some of his old ammo, one "new" box has sales price of $4.05.

Old posting (2017 discussion) but added my 2 cents worth.

I lot of good memories -- going with him for groundhogs.
shootrj2003
Marksman

Post by shootrj2003 »

Make it look right give him the old one I worked on many Marlins with the undersize shrunken spacers,yes they seem to shrink.
being of a mind that an armed populace is a free populace.... i'm armed!