!893 TD altered or factory record mistake?

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

sub11#s
Beginner

!893 TD altered or factory record mistake?

Post by sub11#s »

Recently I was organizing my records. Asked Rick to help with some serial numbers, to which he obliged. One was a bit of a surprise.
It is an 1893 straight grip, take down 32-40 with a 26" SSS half octagon half round barrel and half magazine. I bought the rifle knowing the
present butt stock did not match, but the upper receiver tang and trigger plate numbers do. My novice appraisal rates the rifle in
good condition and it appears original and unmolested other than the replaced stock. The surprise was when the records list
the rifle shipping as a pistol grip take down 32-40 with an octagon 26" barrel. I was wondering what the members thought, might this
be a mistake in factory records? Seems contrary thinking to take a nice pistol grip and change it to a straight stock. And swapping out
the barrel as well? Sub
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Re: !893 TD altered or factory record mistake?

Post by marlinman93 »

Mistakes in the factory records have come up before, so I'd guess it's possible this is one also. Might ask about what the configuration of guns above or below yours are in the records? It may show one close by that matches yours, and possibly just the serial number was transposed between two configurations. I'd expect that the records room was doing numerous guns at the same time, and could easily make such a mistake.
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Sub;

There are mistakes in the records. But another reason that happens quite often is the misreading of serial numbers. So often, the curved portion of the receiver will distort numbers where a 3 will look like an 8, or a 6 looks like an 8. The numbers 3, 6, 8 and 9 quite often are mistaken if not examined closely. If a person looks to quickly, the mistake is carried on to reading the upper tang and the mind just accepts that it is reading the correct number even if it is wrong.
When there are glaring mistakes between the record and the gun, I usually ask that the serial number be looked at again to insure that the number was read correctly. Misreads happen quite frequently.....
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
sub11#s
Beginner

Post by sub11#s »

As suggested I have rechecked the numbers, which are quite sharp on this particular rifle and they do
indeed match. As to the barrel, I know it was easy and common practice on takedowns to swap barrels
around so I suppose that is less perplexing. Anyway I believe the numbers are correct. Sub
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Sub;

I would suggest resending that serial number to insure a mistake was not made when reading the records. It cannot hurt anything!
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
sub11#s
Beginner

Post by sub11#s »

Just getting back. Thanks I will resend the number to you, and thanks for the trouble.
steve