Old 1895

Anything to do with Lever Action Guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

OleMule
Beginner

Old 1895

Post by OleMule »

I am new to this forum. I recently acquired an Old 1895, 45-90, #135590, 26" octagon barrel, no sss markings on barrel. It functions great, is all there, bore is great, finish is brownish/blue, no color case left. The butt stock however, is all there but has the typical bailing wire fix. What information is available about this rifle? What is it worth? I have not been able to find much info except on this great site. Thanks in advance.
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Old 1895

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

OleMule;

Everything about your Marlin Model 1895 checks out against the old factory records. It was shipped from the factory in New Haven, Ct. in early 1896. Some of the earlier Model 1895's did not have the Special Smokeless Steel barrel markings.
You can either repair the stock properly, (if possible) or get a new stock from Precision Gun Stocks of Kerrville, Texas.
Good luck......
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
Brent
Sharpshooter

Post by Brent »

As of 1.5 yrs ago or so, Precision sold their last old 95 blank to me. They said their pattern was lost in a fire and demand did not warrant replacing it. Can't hurt to ask, but that is what I was told.

I know of no other source, and I spent quite a bit of time looking.

Brent
OleMule
Beginner

Post by OleMule »

Thanks for the info! I received an email from Precision Gun Stocks, and they do have early model 1895 stocks, in stock, and ready for shipment.
I ordered a set immediately! I have 45-90 components for reloading already, as I shoot this cartridge in a Shiloh Sharps in Long range silhouette.

Hope to get this Marlin back out shooting!
Brent
Sharpshooter

Post by Brent »

Like is good! Have fun
OleMule
Beginner

Post by OleMule »

Want to give a thumbs up to Precision Gun Stocks, I ordered them Monday and received them today (Wednesday). Much more finely duplicated than other stocks I have used (Macon & others), much less material to remove, yet fit is almost there.
Brent
Sharpshooter

Post by Brent »

Sounds just like mine.

Good luck.