Lever gun identification

Anything to do with Rimfire guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

BAO
Beginner

Lever gun identification

Post by BAO »

Good evening folks. Newbie here. I just picked up an old .22 rifle and think it is a model 1897 but want to confirm. There is a tang sight on it that may be covering a model number??? It is a full length octagon barrel with pistol grip. The serial number is 5672. It is a takedown model as well. Thanks for any info or ideas. BAO
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Lever gun identification

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

BAO;

A .22 caliber, octagon barrel rifle with a 4 digit serial number, without prefix sounds like a Model 39. Check the barrel markings to see if the company is designated as the Marlin Firearms Corporation. If it is, it is a Model 39, not a Model 1897/'97.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

And remove the tang sight to see what model designation is under it too!
Marlin lever actions 1870's-WWI, Ballards, and single shot rifles!
BAO
Beginner

Post by BAO »

So, I removed the tang sight and found the ‘Model 39’ designation. I assume that the tang sight was aftermarket? Also, a couple more questions please:

1) The rear sight is missing and I would like to replace it. Can someone post a picture of the sight that would have been on the rifle?
2) I disassembled the rifle to clean it-very gummed up! I found that the magazine spring was not compressed. In other words it was stretched out full length in the inner magazine tube. Are there any schematics available that will assist me in correcting this.
3) The rifle is in rough shape. Blueing is bad with slight pitting the last 10” of the barrel. I am cleaning all metal with fuel oil and a nylon scrubbing pad(gently) and calling that good enough. The buttstock has a couple of bad spots the size of a dime on the top/comb of the stock. I am inclined to sand these out along with the initials that have been scratched into the side but am concerned that this may reduce whatever value this old work horse has left. I am not looking to sell the rifle but do not want to hurt the old girl any more than she already has been. Any thoughts from those more knowledgeable than I are always appreciated. Thank you.
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Here's a correct rear sight for sale on Ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Marli ... rk:20:pf:0

Replacement magazine tube springs can be found easily. Any later .22 Marlin magazine spring will work well if it's for the same length barrel. I usually want about 6"-8" of spring compression, so a 24" barrel needs a 30" spring usually. This one is 40" and can be cut to length:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Winchester-Mag ... :rk:1:pf:0

I'd hesitate to make the stock too nice, as it wont match the gun's finish. Sanding at all will hurt, and sanding deep enough to remove initials carved into the stock will really hurt the look. I'd simply clean it, and if it's had any varnish added, then I'd chemically strip that off, and after a thorough cleaning, and drying time, I'd give it a few coats of Wipe On Poly Satin. This will seal the wood, but not leave it looking restored.
A very light sanding with 500-600 grit before adding new sealer, or after adding sealer wont hurt, or remove enough wood to make it lose value.
BAO
Beginner

Post by BAO »

Thanks for the sight info. The spring is not missing but is not ‘constrained’ within the tube. I assume that there was some type of follower or???? Something that the shells would have been resting on that also keep the spring under tension??? A schematic of the tube would probably help if such a thing exists. Never having dissected one I have no idea what I should have. I have decided to just clean the stock and touch it u- with True-oil.
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

Yes there was a follower, but if it's missing then you've got bigger problems. The way the tube assembly is made to control and retain the follower is such that it wont come out unless it's broken or worn out. If your tube doesn't have the follower, then it likely also needs repair or replacement to fix the tube. That can be very tough, and expensive. Plus parts are almost unattainable.
BAO
Beginner

Post by BAO »

Are there any schematics available for this weapon?
marlinman93
Distinguished Expert

Post by marlinman93 »

I don't know of any that show the internals of the mag tube assembly. The internals of the receiver really haven't changed much for the 39 or later 39A, so that schematic can be used for the 39, except for the ejector assembly.
If you can find a copy of Bill Brophy's History of Marlin Firearms, it has good images and some diagrams for all Marlin rifles.