Old Marlin in Chile

Any questions related to guns

Moderators: Regnier (gunrunner), JohnK, Sure-Shot

Osornino71
Beginner

Old Marlin in Chile

Post by Osornino71 »

Greetings from Chile, I tell you, I have a MARLIN 44-40 SAFETY, serial number 111229, I believe it's year 1894, octagonal barrel of 30 inch, I understand that this barrel is not common, if anyone has information of this I would thank you.
greetings and thanks.
Fernando
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Re: Old Marlin in Chile

Post by Regnier (gunrunner) »

Fernando;

Your Marlin Model 1894 did indeed leave the factory with a 30 inch octagon barrel in .44-40 caliber. It was shipped in mid-late 1894.
The 30 inch barrel is rare, and in .44-40 caliber probably even more rare. Most long barrel Model 1894's seem to be in the smaller calibers (.25-20 and .32-20) for some reason.
Due to the increasing cost of ammunition, there will be no warning shot!

The growing federal deficit = generational slavery to the national debt.

If the world was perfect.......it wouldn't be.
Osornino71
Beginner

Post by Osornino71 »

Regnier (gunrunner) wrote:Fernando;

Your Marlin Model 1894 did indeed leave the factory with a 30 inch octagon barrel in .44-40 caliber. It was shipped in mid-late 1894.
The 30 inch barrel is rare, and in .44-40 caliber probably even more rare. Most long barrel Model 1894's seem to be in the smaller calibers (.25-20 and .32-20) for some reason.

Thanks for your answer, maybe my Marlin was a special order to manufactures
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Fernando;

Most extra length barrels were special ordered at the extra cost of $2.00 per 2 inches over the standard length. The standard barrel length for the Model 1894 was 24 inches, so your 30 inch barrel cost an additional $6.00 more than a standard length barrel.

Osornino71
Beginner

Post by Osornino71 »

Most extra length barrels were special ordered at the extra cost of $2.00 per 2 inches over the standard length. The standard barrel length for the Model 1894 was 24 inches, so your 30 inch barrel cost an additional $6.00 more than a standard length barrel.

thanks a lot

Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Fernando;

Unusual that your 30 inch barrel gun only has a 28 inch magazine tube. For a while, Marlin only offered 28 inch magazine tubes, but later, the longer, 30 inch tube was offered, and it then became the longest tube Marlin offered on their guns. It may be that your gun was made just before the 30 inch tubes were offered.

Osornino71
Beginner

Post by Osornino71 »

Unusual that your 30 inch barrel gun only has a 28 inch magazine tube. For a while, Marlin only offered 28 inch magazine tubes, but later, the longer, 30 inch tube was offered, and it then became the longest tube Marlin offered on their guns. It may be that your gun was made just before the 30 inch tubes were offered.

Ok, so I'm understanding my Marlin is very special
Osornino71
Beginner

Post by Osornino71 »

Comparative WINCHESTER 1892 20 "BARREL
Regnier (gunrunner)
Distinguished Expert

Fernando;

Definitely unusual. I would have to say it was a special order gun. Marlin was not in the habit of warehousing guns outside of the standard features. Dealers of the time would order guns for customers to be received on consignment, but return them if the customer did not want it after it was received by the dealer. In later years, Marlin would offer these guns to dealers on discounted price lists called "Bargain Dealer Sheets" in order to sell these non standard guns.

Osornino71
Beginner

Post by Osornino71 »

Definitely unusual. I would have to say it was a special order gun. Marlin was not in the habit of warehousing guns outside of the standard features. Dealers of the time would order guns for customers to be received on consignment, but return them if the customer did not want it after it was received by the dealer. In later years, Marlin would offer these guns to dealers on discounted price lists called "Bargain Dealer Sheets" in order to sell these non standard guns.
Anyway, a great weapon, thanks for the comments and help.